Updates on engineering and architecture jobs available around the world
Working with us as The Centre for Acoustics of the Built Environment (CABE) Lead
The Centre for Acoustics of the Built Environment (CABE) is a commercially focussed unit within the Acoustics Laboratories at the University of Salford, providing unrivalled accredited acoustic testing and bespoke acoustic measurement to UK and international customers mainly in the construction and finishes sector.
The strategic vision for CABE is to consolidate our position as the UK’s leading centre of for Building Acoustics in the UK and become one of the leading centres in the world. This aim supports the University’s primary strategic objective of establishing and maintaining collaboration with industry.
We are looking for a self-motivated individual with high-level knowledge of the construction sector and advanced specialist skills in Building Acoustics.
You will be responsible for implementing CABE strategic vision of becoming a leading national centre for acoustics in the built environment within the overarching strategy of the Acoustics Laboratories.
- Providing a strategic view on developments in acoustic testing to ensure the long-term success of CABE
- Co-operating with Centre Leads of NIAAM, AVAL and the ARC to ensure the smooth running of the Acoustics Laboratories and the exploitation of synergies
- Providing strategic leadership, managing, and motivating staff, including establishing new roles and recruiting new staff where necessary
- Maintaining UKAS accreditation and taking overall responsibility for the quality control of CABE’s outputs
- Ensuring that CABE meets its targets for commercial and research income and providing reports to finance at (typically) monthly intervals
- Generating and responding to enquiries for acoustic testing, raising quotes, negotiating contracts, and managing the necessary test work to the high standards expected of an accredited test house
- Generating opportunities for commercially funded and contract research bids, including KTPs and advocating partners for related research bids
- Proposing, where appropriate, new lines of business to the Steering Board and, where approved, developing those lines
- Liaising with colleagues and maintaining networks of high-level contacts in the construction industry
You will report to the Director of the Acoustic Laboratories, and will be based at University of Salford but will involve some travel for meetings with clients and other stakeholders.
Who we are!
The University of Salford (UoS) is ambitious and at the heart of a fast-developing community. Our expertise help transform diverse individuals and communities through teaching, research, innovation, and engagement. Salford is at the forefront of this transformation, leading the way in areas such as health, energy, media, and the built environment. Our 20,000 students contribute enormously to the local economy.
What’s in it for you?
Competitive salary – and excellent pension scheme.
Generous annual leave – plus the ability to buy additional holiday days
Professional development – a comprehensive package of personal development opportunities to help you achieve your full potential
Wellbeing support – dedicated services and facilities to support your mental and physical health, ranging from an Employee Assistance Programme and counselling to sports and fitness facilities, including discounted gym memberships.
However you identify, whatever your pathway, come and join us at the University of Salford where we are all proud to belong – watch us in action here!
For information please contact, Claire Lomax, Director of Acoustics Laboratories at firstname.lastname@example.org
Interviews will take place on Wednesday 07th June 2023