The Memorial’s site, surrounded by calm landscape, is located in the gentle valley where thousands of political prisoners were persecuted after the outbreak of the Korean War.
The design challenge is to create an outstanding and sensitively-designed Park and a Memorial Hall that is spiritual while offering visitors an opportunity to deepen their understanding of Korea’s darkest hour. This competition seeks to identify the very best design talent to create Memorial Park as a national symbol and a home to the local community.
Eligibility: This competition is open to domestic and international professionals in the field of architecture, landscape architecture, urban planning, and other relevant areas. In the case of a joint submission, a team can have up to a maximum of five (5) participating members. One of the members must be designated as the representative who will have the responsibility for design contract and the delivery of construction. The representative cannot be changed, and a change in team members can only be made during the registration period.
- Charles Waldheim, Harvard University
- Waro Kishi, Kyoto University
- Francisco Sanin, Syracuse University
- Andreas Fries, Herzog & de Meuron
- Sung-kwan Lee, HANUL Architects & Engineers, Inc.
- Jae-hun Jung, Kyung Hee University
- Yi-gyu Choi, Keimyung University
Reserve Jurors: So-jin Lee (Leeon Architects), Han-song Lee (thinkTREE Architects & Partners, Inc.)
- 1st Prize: Contract of architecture design development, construction document, and landscape design development only (total design cost of 632 million KRW, VAT included)
- 2nd Prize: 15 million KRW
- 3rd Prize: 10 million KRW
- 4th Prize: 5 million KRW
- Honorable mention (4 entries)
- Memorial park
- Memorial hall (memorial space, exhibition space, education space, office, and amenities)
- Outdoor service facility
Winner Announcement: Friday, December 18. 2020.
More information will be released on the official competition website.
TitleInternational Design Competition for Korean War Memorial Park for Civil Victims
TypeCompetition Announcement (Built Projects & Masterplans)
Registration DeadlineOctober 23, 2020 05:00 PM
Submission DeadlineNovember 30, 2020 05:00 PM