UIA launches International Innovative Health Design Awards
The International Union of Architects (UIA) has launched the International Innovative Health Design Awards, organized by the UIA Public Health Group, and open to all architects worldwide.
Themes and Objectives
In keeping with its mission to mobilize architects to design for health in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2021 UIA General Assembly declared 2022 the UIA Year of Design for Health.
The International Innovative Health Design Awards aim to celebrate the essential role that architects play in social and environmental well-being and to address how architecture and architecture research focused on Design for Health, can help to mitigate the impact of future calamities. The Awards seek to recognize innovative architectural design solutions addressing issues brought to the fore by the COVID-19 pandemic. Architects are invited to submit entries in two categories: Built Work and Theoretical Work.
All practicing architects and architecture academics across the globe are eligible.
The official language of the Awards is English.
Built Work Category
- Cindy Walters (UK), architect
- Deniz İncedayi (Turkey), Chairperson & UIA Representative, architect
- Tye Farrow (Canada), architect
- Kerstin Thompson (Australia), architect
- Luyanda Mpahlwa (South Africa), architect
- Ola Oduku (UK): Head, University of Liverpool
- Fani Vavili (Greece), Chairperson, UIA PHG, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, UIA Representative
- Nivaldo Vieira de Andrade Junior (Brazil), Federal University of Bahia
- Rosman Wai (Hong Kong), University of Hong Kong
- Vity Claude Nsalambi (Angola), University Agostinho Neto
There will be one (1) award allocated per award category. Awardees will be presented with certificates and free entrance to the UIA Congress and the award ceremony.
Launch: 16 September 2022
Deadline for Questions: 5 October 2022
Deadline for Answers: 18 October 2022
Submission of Entries Deadline: 8 February 2023 – 14:00 CET
Jury sessions: March 2023
Announcement of results: 26 April 2023
The Awards presentation and exhibition will take place in at the UIA World Congress of Architects in Copenhagen, Denmark.
Read more about the competition on UIA’s website.