District 33, better known to the general public as “Firdusi”, is one among the last surviving historical districts of Yerevan, which is found within the city centre , next to the Republic Square. the present project to be implemented within the area has raised public complaints and uproar, as for the past 20 years the weak policies in urban planning have erased the historical and cultural layers in Yerevan, leaving several extracts that are expecting their address be demolished.
This initiative especially aims to aﬀect the ﬁnal decision of the town authorities, since the project submitted has not yet received ﬁnal approval. Therefore, the aim of the conceptual proposals regarding the revitalization of the urban environment is: to means economically, socially and environmentally feasible, and sustainable solutions through open and competitive processes at the urban development level, which can be supported the principle of conservation and re-evaluation of the historically-formed urban environment.
There is no application fee for participation.
Submission Deadline is September 10, 2020, and winners will be announced on September 21, 2020.
Awards: The organizers, considering the available ﬁnancial resources, have delegated the following awards:
- 1st place: 1’250’000 AMD (ap. 2’500 EUR)
- 2nd place: 750’000 AMD (ap. 1’500 EUR)
- 3rd place: 250’000 AMD (ap. 500 EUR)
The Competition Jury consists of seven professionals from Armenia and abroad:
- Areg Asatryan, Architect, New York City Building Department Lead Plan Examiner (USA)
- Dr. George Arbid, Architect, Director of Arab Center for Architecture (Lebanon)
- Dr. Irina Subotić, Art historian, (Serbia)
- Movses Der Kevorkian, Architect (Belgium)
- Narineh Mirzaeian, Architect, Founder & Principal of MNOﬃce and Faculty at UCLA, School of Architecture and Urban Design (USA)
- Sevada Petrossian, Architect (Armenia)
- Dr. Taline Ter Minassian, Historian, Professor at the National Institute of Oriental Languages and Civilizations (France)
To find more information about the competition, please follow this link.
Download the information related to this competition here.
TitleAlternative 33: Open Ideas Competition for the Urban Revitalization of the District 33 in Yerevan, Armenia
TypeCompetition Announcement (Ideas)
OrganizersThe Committee for the Protection of Yerevan’s Heritage
Submission DeadlineSeptember 10, 2020 11:30 PM