2023 Іnternational Architecture Competition | Reinterpreting the Space
Architecture competition Reinterpreting the Space is looking for conceptual ideas for the revitalization of the historical space of the Potocki Palace complex in Ivano-Frankivsk (Ukraine) with the creation of a public cultural space.
To adapt the complex open territory into a public space with multiple functions, preserving the existing historically formed structure.
The territory for developing conceptual proposals is divided into 3 parts and does NOT include buildings:
- Transformative multifunctional central open public space
- Semi-open architectural space with connection between buildings
- staff space
Proposed revitalization principles:
- variability of the space thereby it can be easily transformed to provide an individual, personal stay as well as social connections;
- Preservation of the historically formed territory structure and the spirit of the place (genius loci);
- Zoning of the territory by the formed ensemble structure and the developed concept of revitalization and development of the complex;
- binding the spaces in «the backyard» together along the perimeter using pavilion and landscape architecture, covering structures and transformative architectural structures;
- Creation of semi-open spaces between the buildings to provide a comfortable passageway and communication taking into account protection from atmospheric influences and all-season complex operation;
- organization of the multifunctional mobile open space within the central part of the park complex territory;
- Safety of visitors due to the possible Russian missile strikes.
1st place | 70 000 UAH (≈ 1 715 €)
2nd place | 50 000 UAH (≈ 1 225 €)
3rd place | 30 000 UAH (≈ 735 €)
+ 3 Honourable mentions | 10 000 UAH (≈ 245 €) each
- Volodymyr Gaidar | Ivano-Frankivsk, Ukraine | Director of the Municipal Enterpris Space of Innovative Creativity PALACE, head of Ivano-Frankivsk regional department of the National Union of Architects of Ukraine.
- Larysa Polishchuk | Ivano-Frankivsk, Ukraine | representative of the customer, PhD in Architecture, cultural heritage protection specialist.
- Anna Serbin | Ivano-Frankivsk, Ukraine | representative of the customer, architect, cultural heritage protection specialist.
- Oleksandr Chyzhevskyi | Kyiv, Ukraine | Head of The Architectural Chamber of the National Union of Architects of Ukraine.
- Kyle Gallagher | Ireland | Landscape architect, Principal SKG Landscape Design.
- Natalia Mysak | Kharkiv-Lviv | architect, Ph.D. in architecture, Spatial Practices Lab.
- Mariusz Scislo | Poland | vice-president of the Union of Architects of Poland, head of the FSP |Arcus|.
- Oksana Savchuk | Belgium | Architect, researcher, Hasselt University.
- Artur Prokipchuk | deputy director of the Department of Urban Planning and Architecture of Ivano-Frankivsk City Council.
- Dariia Spytska | France, Paris | architect at Wilmotte & Associés Architectes.
- Constantin Gorcea | Romania | architect, certified specialist for historic monuments, President of the Romanian Chamber of Architects – North Eastern branch.
- Bohdan Goy | Ukraine, Lviv | architect in A7 Architects, PhD in Architecture.
12.07.2023 | initial data readiness stage | registration starts
30.09.2023 | h 23:59 GMT | registration deadline
30.01.2024 | h 12:00 – GMT | works submission deadline
05.02.2024 | jury meeting
12.02.2024 | announcement of Competition results | exhibition opening
Participation in the Competition is free. Competition participants do not pay the registration fee.
Official languages of the competition | English, Polish, and Ukrainian. Materials of competitive projects are submitted in electronic form.
More at https://picpalace.com.ua/contest