- Since the Gwangju Biennale was first launched in Korea in 1995, it has been held on 14 occasions. As a result, it has taken root as a world culture brand, however it has faced a number of limitations in its development due to the facilities which make it difficult to reflect new exhibition trends as time has passed.
- So, we have established a new exhibition space which can reflect the flow of contemporary art and provide an exuberant citizen-friendly, cultural delight, and healing space to an urban area as well as strengthening the status and identity of the Gwangju Biennale and preparing for the holding of stable and methodical events as a world culture brand.
- Host (Ordering Agency) : Gwangju Metropolitan City of S.Korea
- Site Location: Around 400-5 Maegok-dong, Buk-gu, Gwangju, S.Korea
- Area/ District: Green Natural Area/ Jungwoe Park (museum district)
- Use: Cultural and Assembly Facilities (exhibition hall)
- Site Area: 34,925㎡
- Total Floor Area: 32,276㎡ (exhibition hall 22,776㎡, Parking area 9,500㎡) ※ tolerances of ±5>#/span###
- Estimated Construction Cost: 86,396 million KRW (including VAT, renewables construction costs)
- Estimated Design Fee: 5,117 million KRW (including VAT, all certifications, etc.)
- Competition Period: Tue. Sep. 12, 2023 ~ Mon. Nov. 20, 2023 (※ current exchange rates : 1 USD ≒ 1,337KRW)
- Announcement : Tue, Sep. 12, 2023
- Participation Registration : Tue, Sep. 12 to Fri, Oct. 06, 2023 17:00
- Onsite Meeting : Mon, Sep. 25, 2023 10:00 / online
- Inquires : Mon, Sep. 25 to Fri, Sep. 29, 2023 17:00 / by E-mail
- Answers : Tue, Oct. 06, 2023 10:00 (estimated)
- Entry Submission : Mon, Nov. 20, 2023 17:00
- Technical Review : Tue, Nov. 21, 2023
- 1st Main Review : Wed, Nov. 22, 2023
- 2nd Review-Material Submission : Wed, Nov. 29, 2023 17:00
- 2nd Main Review : Thu, Nov. 30, 2023
- Result Announcement : Fri, Dec. 01, 2023
[Winners and Awards]
- 1st Place Winner (1 entry) : Certificate of award and the priority negotiation rights for the design development, construction document, and design implementation
- 2nd Place Winner (1 entry) : A certificate of award & 4 million KRW
- 3rd Place Winner (1 entry) : A certificate of award & 3 million KRW
- 4th Place Winner (2 entries) : A certificate of award & 1.5 million KRW
The list of jurors will be posted and open to public on the competition proposal submission deadline(November 20) in accordance with the operation standards of the Gwangju Metropolitan City public architectural design competition.
Read more architecture competitions.